Sunflower Spelt Bread
An approachable loaf using whole grain Spelt flour
- 167 grams Spelt Flour Whole Grain
- 134 grams Water
- 3 grams Instant Yeast
- 304 grams Pre-ferment
- 522 grams Spelt Flour Whole Grain
- 349 grams Water
- 7 grams Yeast
- 14 grams Sea Salt
- Mix together all ingredients for overnight pre-ferment.
- Place pre-ferment in refrigerator overnight.
- Add pre-ferment and all other ingredients to mixing bowl.
- Mix into a shaggy mess with no dry bits of flour left.
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Do four (4) sets of simple folds on dough every 10 minutes.
- Let rest and bulk ferment for 30 minutes.
- Dump dough out onto table and divide into two loaves.
- Preshape into a rough ball of dough and bench rest for 20 minutes.
- Flip over ball and pat gently into a square.
- Fold towards the middle. Turn 90 degree and fold other side into the middle.
- Mist loaf lightly with spray bottle of water and roll in a bowl of sunflower seeds.
- Place into a loaf pan seam-side down and let rise for 30 minutes (or until loaf rises above lip of pan).
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425 °F
- Turn loaves around and continue to bake for 20 minutes at 375 °F
This one is a farmers market favorite. It’s an approachable loaf using whole grain Spelt flour. Several of our customers have gluten sensitivities and have never had any issues enjoying this Sunflower Seeded Spelt.